Change-Of-Pace Tofu, Mushroom, & Lotus Seed Soup Recipe
Recipe Submitted by: Ashley Gee
Serves 6-8 persons
6 (1 ounce dried; 1/3 pound fresh) dried or fresh shiitake mushrooms
25 (a little less than 1 ounce, or 25 grams) dried lotus seeds
2 to 3 pounds of medium firm tofu
8 cups water, plus extra for boiling
A pinch of salt
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, silvered into 1/16-inch slices
2 tablespoons mirin or dry sherry
½ pound bok choy, cut into ½ -inch slices
3 tablespoons soy sauce, or to taste
2 green onions, chopped into ½ -inch pieces, roots & tough tips
- If you are starting with dried mushrooms, wash & soak them in about a cup of warm water until the mushrooms are soft, about 30 minutes. If you are starting with fresh mushrooms, simply rinse. Remove & discard the stems if desired, then cut the mushrooms into ½ -inch slices.
- Boil about a cup of water, & place the lotus seeds in the boiling water for about a minute to blanch. Remove the lotus seeds from water.
- In large soup pot, place the tofu, water, & salt together & bring to boil.
- Add the ginger, mirin, lotus seeds, & mushrooms. Bring back to boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer, and cook, covered with the lid slightly ajar, for about 30 minutes, or until lotus seeds are soft. Skim off any excess oil if desired.
- Add the bok choy, then simmer for 10 minutes more. Remove the ginger pieces, if desired (or eat around them)
- Add the soy sauce & green onions before serving.